We invite our guests to experience the amazing newly revamped Hippo Walkway located opposite the road from the Neck & Deck restaurant! The hippopotamus, also called the hippo, common hippopotamus or river hippopotamus, is a large, mostly herbivorous, semiaquatic mammal and ungulate native to sub-Saharan Africa. It is one of only two extant species in the family Hippopotamidae, the other being the pygmy hippopotamus which you can see in our Wildlife Centre near the Boma restaurant.
Join one of our expert guides for a tour along the magical Hippo Walkway. This is the perfect short guided safari experience for all guests who want to see and get to know some of our most remarkable wildlife in a shorter amount of time.
The tour meanders through the green belt along a gravel pathway that leads visitors alongside the various habitats while our guide enthuses you with fun facts and talks about the animals you are viewing. You will catch sight of some of our lions, tigers and various antelope up close and personal! At the end of the path, the surprise and delight of the Hippo enclosure awaits! Spot the world’s third largest land mammals sunning themselves on the treelined banks of the river from the safety of the elevated viewing deck.
This adventure is particularly special for young ones and is a great learning experience for school children and home schoolers alike.
Enjoy this tour on its own or make it part of your day out at the reserve.
INFO & TICKETS
OPTION 1 – Get Hippo Walkway tickets at Neck n Deck Restaurant or the Chobe Café – located at the entrance of the reserve.
R90 – Hippo Walkway only ticket.
OPTION 2 – Buy a full reserve ticket which includes the Hippo Walkway tour.
Full reserve ticket prices here.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The price of a tour is R90 per person, regardless of age (Children 3 and under free)
- If you have a full reserve /game drive ticket then entry to the Hippo Walkway is included, no extra charge. – Get a full reserve ticket here.
- One visitors guide will be given out to the person purchasing tickets.
- Hippo Walkway tickets will ONLY be available at the Neck n Deck or Chobe Café.
- No person shall be allowed onto a tour without a valid ticket
- No persons under 16 will be allowed without adult supervision.
- Tours will commence every 2 hours, starting at
- 15h00 – last slot on weekdays
- 17h00 – last slot on weekends and public holidays
Only full reserve tickets are available online.
Hippo Walkway only tickets are only available from the Neck n Deck Restaurant or the Chobe Café. These restaurants are located at the entrance of the reserve. Hippo Walkway only tickets are not available for online purchase.