See which activities are included in your entry fee, and what additional activities are also available.
A list of all the activities included in the entrance fee
Lion, Wild Dog & Cheetah Feeding
13H00 @ Predator Camp
Wed, Sat, Sun & PubH
- Feeding is a self drive activity.
- Game Drives to the feeding can be booked at an additional fee.
- The pack of Endangered Wild Dogs and the coalition of Cheetahs fed when the prides of Lions are fed.
- Feeding portions (carcasses & meat) are systematically measured and fed from a vehicle to the pride, pack and coalition.
- The Brown & White pride of Lions housed separately and fed on alternative days according to a systematically measured schedule.
14H30 @ Kiosk Pavilion
Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun & PubH
- Get to know the ABC of reptiles! Learn about anacondas, black mambas and cobras as well as crocodiles in our reptile park near the Wildlife Centre.
- Watch an educational snake show conducted by our resident snake handler Winnie Dlomo.
- Learn why snakes are important for conservation.
- Shows take place at 14h30 near the monkey enclosure every day except for Mondays and Fridays.
- Please note that the hippos are in a separate part of the reserve, opposite the entrance (view map).
- To view them, visitors need to park inside and walk across the road to the hippos.
- The walkway is fenced off and leads to platforms which offer excellent viewing of the hippos.
- Normal access times apply.
- Tickets can be purchased at the Neck & Deck Restaurant and the Thatch Café.
- Discover various beautiful species of waterfowl in enclosures along a fresh water stream.
- Take a gentle stroll along the walkway and rest on the benches while enjoy the view across a small fresh water dam alive with birdlife.
- Open from 09h00 until 16h00 on Tuesdays to Sundays and public holidays.
- Close to the wildlife centre is the Snake & Reptile Pit where shows are conducted, winter conditions permitting due to hybernation.
- These shows are very educational and the professional handlers handle from brown house snakes to puff adders and the like.
- Valuable information concerning possible snake or reptile bites or other reptile related injuries can be obtained from these shows.
- Visit our snake / reptile park and view the snakes / reptiles with additional educational written information at each enclosure.
Lion & Predator Camp
- Take a drive through the Predator Enclosure and search for the lions in the brown lion and white lion enclosures.
- Visit the Wild Dog enclosure and Cheetah enclosures to view the animals and their behaviours in their natural relaxed state.
Self Game Drive
- The Reserve is a Self Drive facility with fairly to well maintained roads accommodation all types of small passenger vehicles.
- Use the comfort of your own vehicle and preferences to drive through the Reserve and Predator enclosures and view the animals in their habitat.
- Ed Hern’s African Garden is devoted exclusively to (South) African fauna and flora.
- The Garden features numerous different cycads, aloes, and other African plant life painstakingly placed in and amongst the dolomite rock formations that are indigenous to the Cradle of Humankind world heritage site.
- The African Garden offers visitors the rare opportunity to view a multitude of small antelope species, including Klipspringer, Suni and Blue Duiker, along with birds like the Blue Crane and Ground Hornbill.
- The small splash pool is available for all to cool down and for the children to enjoy under adult supervision only.
- A small section forming part of the pool can be used for toddlers under adult supervision only.
- The Reserve established a children’s playground and party venue where your child can experience an unforgettable birthday.
- Children can also enjoy; obstacle courses, trampolines, swings, sandpits, jumping castles and jungle gyms.
Braai & Picnic
- The Day Visitors Centre / Kiosk is a protected and fenced in area for our visitors.
- Excellent braai facilities available (grids can be rented at the Kiosk).
- Ablution facilities.
- A Kiosk with snacks, drinks, food and wood.
- A swimming pool to keep cool and a jungle gym for the kids.
- Bring your own picnic basket and make use of our Picnic & Braai areas.
A list of all the activities not included in the entrance fee
Guided Game Drives
- Feel the rush of adrenaline as you approachthe ultimate predator in our open game viewers under the watchful eye of our experienced guides.
- Drives can be done to suite yourrequirements during day light hours or for the nocturnal lovers a night drive where the rush will keep you warm.
The Bothongo Wondercave
- The Bothongo cave was discovered by Italian miners in 1898. They mined out approximately 15% from the formation and brought them to the surface.
- This is the 3rd largest chamber is South Africa, the largest being Cango Caves and second largest Sudwala Caves.
- The entrance to the cave is down a flight of stairs with 87 steps at a 45 degrees angle dropping 22 meters below the surface. From there an elevator takes visitors a further 18 meters into the cave.
- The Reserve features 5 restaurants at key locations: the Neck & Deck Cafe, the Boma Restaurant, the Playpark Restaurant, the Wondercave Restaurant and the Thatch Cafe.
- Variety of A La Carte menus’ ranging from Breakfasts, Steaks, Burgers, Fish, Waffles, Pizza’s Meat Baskets and more all at different restaurants.
Cradle Bike Park
- A great experience for the whole family with a variety of tracks to suit all cyclist skills and abilities.
- The bike park includes facilities for renting equipment on site to enjoy the different tracks.
- Also available are ablution facilities, a kiosk for snacks and the Thatch cafe with professional baristas.
- Enjoy feeding a relatively tame giraffe and experience the stature of this beautiful tall creature.
- Feeding buckets can be bought at the Neck & Deck and the giraffe will at it’s own time and leisure enjoy the food you provide if it feels the need to do so.
- Take pictures on the Deck with the magnificent animal in your background.